Ammar al Baluchi

Ammar al Baluchi was born on August 29, 1977 in Kuwait City, Kuwait. Following the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, Ammar spent several of his teenage years living in Iran. Ammar studied English while growing up in Kuwait and Iran to prepare himself for a career in Information Technology.  However, he has a love for learning languages, and speaks Arabic, Baluchi, Urdu, Persian (Farsi), and is learning French. These skills led him to become a successful IT and Marketing Executive in the United Arab Emirates.

Unfortunately, Ammar’s company wound up operations in mid-2001, and Ammar then traveled to Pakistan. He was in Pakistan on September 11, 2001, and in the regional chaos following the attacks, planned to stay there indefinitely. In 2003, Ammar was arrested and handed over to the CIA. For three years, Ammar was brutally tortured and flown around the world to various secret prisons as part of the CIA’s infamous clandestine rendition, detention, and interrogation program. During this time, Ammar endured extreme sleep deprivation, continuous high volume music, water torture, and other trauma that left him with a traumatic brain injury that causes him severe pain and inability to sleep to this day along with many other physical and psychological symptoms.

To this day he has never received adequate treatment or rehabilitation for his torture or brain injury. The government claims that even Ammar’s own memories of the torture are classified and state secrets, in an attempt to prevent him from telling the world what was done to him.

In 2006, Ammar was transferred to the prison at Guantánamo Bay.  Ten years later, he remains a prisoner there, still suffering from the effects of torture. The U.S. government has filed charges against Ammar before the Guantánamo Bay military commissions, for an alleged role in the September 11, 2001 attacks. The case against Ammar and four other defendants has now been in pre-trial proceedings for four years, as the government has interfered with Ammar’s attorney-client privileged communications, planted a listening device in the attorney-client meeting rooms, recruited informants on defense teams, and continued the inhuman and degrading treatment of Ammar and other prisoners at Guantánamo Bay.